God’s Will for Your Life
God’s Will for Your Life
If God has something that he wants us to do wouldn’t you think he would let us know? Yet there still remain scores of individuals who have not discovered God’s will for their life.
If you are looking for answers, there is a plethora of how-to guides in your local Christian bookstore that will tell you how to conjure up God’s will, but you may be disappointed.
- Most of these books suggest doing spiritual gift tests which are simply baptized aptitude tests and personality surveys. It is hard to imagine the gifted Corinthians doing one of these before they spoke in tongues.
- Others tell you to look for signs, omens, or coincidental circumstance that may verify what you are doing is God-ordained. They say if God wants you to do something then he will open doors. Be careful! The door may be a prison door since Paul, our Apostle to the Gentiles spent most of his ministry behind bars.
- They say you could ask your spiritual advisor, pastor, or mentor. Other people would love to tell you what to do. The closer that person is to God the better chance you have of getting the proper message relayed, right? Wrong!!!
- If you are a Calvinist who thinks that God forces his will upon your every step then stop reading this right now. We are not a Calvinist.
- If you are like most people what you end up doing is praying fervently. Unfortunately, God never responds about that acting career or school teaching career.
- According to one website, your unanswered prayer for knowing God’s will doesn’t necessarily mean anything. They say it could be that God is testing your patience. So, you wait how long, indefinitely.
The Devil uses these foolish ideas in place of God’s revealed word regarding His already revealed will for you in order to stifle you from daily living unto the Lord. His revealed will found in the word of truth and you will see it as we proceed.
Most people you ask will admittedly tell you that knowing God’s will is difficult.
I am not like most people. God’s will for your life is not difficult to understand though sometimes it can be difficult to accept if you want God’s will to align with yours.
Knowing God’s will for us has nothing to do with personality tests, circumstances, opened doors, or prophetic utterance. It is readily ‘made known’ to us in the Bible “rightly divided” (Eph 1:9). Paul says you are unwise if you do not know God’s will for you (Eph 5:17).
9 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself: Ephesians 1:9 (KJV)
17 Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is. Ephesians 5:17 (KJV)
Here is God’s will for us:
- Salvation is God’s will for you and other people. (1 Tim 2:4 below)
[God] Who WILL [is to] have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. 1 Timothy 2:4 emphasis added, (KJV)
- Coming to a knowledge of the truth of the Bible rightly divided as that is the only way we can know what the Bible is saying to us today, in this age of “the grace of God.” (also, in 1Tim 2:4)
- Giving thanks to God. (1 Thess 5:18)
18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. 1 Thessalonians 5:18 (KJV)
God will not tell you to be a doctor or a bus driver, or an actor, or any other thing. He will not tell you who to marry. He will not give you insider information on which stocks to trade.
The fact is that God has revealed His will through His Spirit and His written Word of truth, and from that He entrust you to make the proper everyday decisions in accord with the truth of Christ’s “Spirit of life” within your spirit and the written “Word of God.”
What he has done is give you His Son’s “Sprit of life” (Rom. 8:2) and the source of truth written in the Bible. Make your own decisions based on them. Thus, we know … not to steal money from people (Eph 4:28) and we know not to marry someone who does not love God as much as you do.
All the while; “In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.” – 1 Thess 5:18
- PORTIONS ADAPTED FROM JUSTIN JOHNSON -